Friday, June 8, 2012

James Mecham and the Civil War

As some of you already know, I have gotten into researching my family on Ancestry.com.  It has become somewhat of an addiction of mine as I feel like I really get to know some of my ancestors through the information that I find during my research.  This research has led me into a new direction.  I am writing a book.  That's right...you did hear me correctly.  I am writing a book.  The basis of the book will be the letters that my 4x great grandfather, James, wrote to his future wife ,Amanda, (my 4x great grandmother) while he fought in the Civil War.  We have the original letters as well as a lot of other personal items that belonged to them, and they make you feel like you really get to know him. We also have some letters written by 2 of Amanda's brothers, Charles and George.  I have been able to get their military records and do some extensive research on them.  What I am working on now is the specific battles and officers that James, George, and Charles mention in their letters.  James also explains that his brother, Sylvester, was killed in the Battle of Chickamauga and is buried in a mass grave on the battlefield.  I believe that this book will give a lot to people that they may not have had before, including a first hand account from a soldier laying on the battlefield while the bullets fly overhead.






                                           James Mecham



My hope is to have this done within the next 1-2 years.  Hopefully closer to one.  I will be traveling next year to the various battlefields and locations that James mentions in his letters so that I can get pictures.

I will be updating about this progress as I go along.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment