Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Find-A-Grave

I know that some of you won't understand, but I am excited to share that I accepted my first "mission" to find the grave of someone's family member.  I signed up a few days ago after coming across the website findagrave.com during my ancestry research.  This website is awesome as it allows you to find photos of the headstones of your ancestors based on burial/cemetery records.  Now, if your ancestor's photo cannot be found, you can submit a request for a photo to be added.  That request is then sent on to members of the website in the area that have signed up to receive requests to go to their local cemeteries and take photos.  You may think this is morbid, but as someone who has family members who are buried out of state, or some who you never met but feel a kind of connection to, this is important information to have.  Sometimes, the photo of an ancestors headstone is the only photo that you will ever have.  


I will tell you, when I saw that someone had taken a photo of my dads headstone and I found it on that website, I almost cried.  Even though it is within driving distance and I do go there from time to time, the fact that someone took the time to take a photo of my loved-ones headstone is beyond measurable.


So, this weekend I will be heading to Tahoma National Cemetary to take some headstone pictures.  I will do so with pride, knowing that I will be making a difference in someones life.


I encourage you all to do something for someone else.  It eases the heart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment